Halloween is one of the most awaited times of the year. It can be a lot of fun to decorate your house, buy candy for yourself and the kids, and attend spooky parties with your friends. However, the best part of Halloween is dressing up. It is the one time of the year when you can pull out your favorite costume and be whoever you want for a night!
While dressing up for Halloween can be a lot of fun, it is also a serious business. You don’t want to choose the wrong for the occasion as the entire night revolves around it. This makes it important to take some time to decide what to wear on Halloween. You can get as creative as you want but it is advisable to also keep the following dos and don’ts of dressing up for Halloween in mind.
What to Do
- Preparation is the key to making the most of Halloween. While some of us start thinking about the costume months before October, others like to leave everything till the last minute. This may not be the best thing to do when it comes to Halloween costumes. So whatever you do, make sure you prepare in advance and know what you are going to wear well before the spooky night.
- Understand the difference between dressing up sexy and impropriate dressing. Try not to get too kinky with the costume. It does not have to be simple but you can always keep it elegant.
- A fun thing to do on Halloween is to get creative and wear matching dresses. For example, if you are planning to dress up as a Disney princess, your partner can be the prince or vice versa. Or if you have planned the night with a group of friends, you can all go as superheroes.
What to Avoid
- Halloween is the time to get wild and crazy. However, don’t do it at the expense of culture. If your costume is funny or sexy, you must take a moment to think about why it is so. If it targets a specific culture or race, this is not the dress for you. For example, don’t dress up as an “Asian boy” or a “Latina.”
- Don’t go for a costume that you are not comfortable with. This is perhaps one of the most important things to keep in mind: you don’t have to dress up in a certain way if you don’t like it. If you don’t like a costume or don’t feel comfortable in it, it’s not necessary to stick with it. Also, keep in mind that since you are going to be spending at least a few hours in the dress, it is better to choose something comfortable.
- Don’t be afraid of overdoing it. At the same time, don’t be afraid to keep it too simple. Remember, even when you are dressing up as someone else, just be yourself and do what feels right.
Keep these Halloween costume tips in mind, and you are all set to have a blast this Halloween!